In this 14-minute presentation from Rebellion in EM 2021, Dr. Jenny Beck-Esmay, MD discusses postpartum emergencies including hypertension, preeclampsia/eclampsia and HELLP syndrome. All of these entities frequently present through the emergency department, and failure to recognize these disease processes can lead to significant morbidity and mortality. This course will review the ED presentation and management of these disease processes.
Jenny Beck-Esmay, MD
Assistant Residency Director
Department of Emergency Medicine
Mount Sinai Morningside – Mount Sinai West
- Review terminology and distinguishing features of hypertension, preeclampsia/eclampsia and HELLP syndrome
- Discuss necessary ED workup for postpartum patients presenting with elevated blood pressure
- Discuss blood pressure management options for postpartum patients
- Review the importance of protocolized blood pressure management for postpartum patients and encourage the development of such protocols at home institutions.
- Review epidemiology, terminology/definitions and diagnostic criteria of postpartum hypertension, preeclampsia/eclampsia and HELLP syndrome
- What ED workup is necessary?
- Overview of medication management options.
- Discuss importance of protocolized management (per ACOG guidelines)
- Review example protocol
- When do I need expert help?
Post Peer Reviewed By: Salim R. Rezaie, MD (Twitter: @srrezaie)
Latest posts by Salim Rezaie (see all)
- Pre-Charging the Defibrillator Before Rhythm Checks in Cardiac Arrest - November 18, 2021
- REBEL Cast Ep103: Outpatient COVID-19 Therapy - November 15, 2021
- Rebellion21: Cut The Neck – The Bougie Assisted Cric via Andy Little, DO - November 11, 2021