27 May 2020
May 27, 2020Take Home Points
- Small to Moderate Size Pneumothorax - consider managing conservatively with observation (need to make sure consulting services on same page)
- Needle aspiration for spontaneous pneumothorax recommend by British Thoracic and European Respiratory Societies
- 1 in 5 patients requiring a chest tube will suffer complications - many are iatrogenic in nature. Practice procedure via simulation
- Chest tubes placed for traumatic pneumothoraces should get prophylactic antibiotics
- When deciding on treatment strategy, discuss with your consultants and make sure you have institutional buy-in.