19 May 2021
May 19, 2021
- If youre concerned about a retained foreign body make sure to get imaging
- There is a higher risk of wound infection associated with age, diabetes, wound size, contamination, and a location not on the head or neck. Other conditions that impair wound healing include renal failure, obesity, malnutrition, immunocompromised status.
- Prophylactic antibiotics are not recommended for routine use in wound care.. Antibiotics have a role in select wounds considered high risk for infection.
- Pain control and administration of an anesthetic may be required before a patient can fully cooperate with examination.
- Its ok to get consultation - sometimes the wound is outside of our scope of practice