Take Home Points
- Always check the vital signs of the eye – visual acuities, field of vision, ocular pressure
- Go in thinking whether you have to call Optho or not
- Get the story – was there trauma or did it just appear?
- Do the exam – Is it red or painful, are there changes in vision?
- What is the location – Internal/external/periorbital
- Watch out for vesicles of stain – this may be herpes
- Don’t forget to use the ultrasound to evaluate the posterior chamber
REBEL Core Cast – Basics of EM – Eye Complaints
Click here for Direct Download of the Podcast
Marco E. Propersi, DO, FAAEM
Vice Chair/Associate Medical Director
Clinical Assistant Professor
Department of Emergency Medicine
Nuvance Health at Vassar Brothers Medical Center
Associate Editor, REBEL EM
Board of Directors, NJ-ACEP
Post Peer Reviewed By: Anand Swaminathan, MD (Twitter: @EMSwami)
Cite this article as: Ellsworth Wright, "REBEL Core Cast – Basics of EM – Eye Complaints", REBEL EM blog, June 1, 2022. Available at: https://rebelem.com/rebel-core-cast-basics-of-em-eye-complaints/.