7 Sep 2020
September 7, 2020
Definition: Medial or posterior slippage of the femoral capital epiphysis relative to the metaphysis
- Classic patient group: overweight adolescent boys
- Over 80% of SCFE involves children with a BMI > 95th percentile (Manoff 2005).
- Average age of onset: 12 years old
- Bilateral SCFE is fairly common
- Influenced by bone maturation, strength, and weight mismatch.
- SCFE has also been associated with endocrine disorders such as hypothyroidism, hypogonadism, pan-hypopituitarism, but this is not as common.