Take Home Points
- Bed Up Head Elevated (BUHE) position is a simple intervention that can reduce the rate of intubation-related complications.
- The bougie should be considered standard practice in all intubations and has an NNT = 11 for 1st pass success.
- Consider using Suction Assisted Laryngoscopy for Airway Decontamination (SALAD) for all intubations to avoid the failed airway due to contamination.
REBEL Core Cast 4.0 – RSI Cheat Codes
- Khandelwal N et al. Head-Elevated Patient Positioning Decreases Complications of Emergent Tracheal Intubation in the Ward and Intensive Care Unit. Anesth Analg 2016; 122(4): 1101-7. PMID: 26866753
- Core EM: Bed Up Head Elevated Positioning for Airway Management
- Driver B et al. The Bougie and First-Pass Success in the Emergency Department. Ann Emerg Med 2017; 70(4): 473-8. PMID: 28601269
- YouTube: SALAD Demonstration with the SSCOR DuCanto Catheter
Post Peer Reviewed By: Salim R. Rezaie, MD (Twitter: @srrezaie)
Cite this article as: Anand Swaminathan, "REBEL Core Cast 4.0 – RSI Cheat Codes", REBEL EM blog, February 6, 2019. Available at: https://rebelem.com/rebel-core-cast-4-0-rsi-cheat-codes/.