Welcome to the September REBELCast 2014, where Matt, Swami, and I are going to tackle a couple more scenarios to help your clinical practice. Today, we are going to specifically tackle two different topics:
Topic #1: The use of Non-Invasive Positive Pressure Ventilation (NIPPV) in the Pre-Hospital Treatment of Patients with Severe Respiratory Distress
Topic #2: Once Weekly Dalbavancin for Skin Infections
September REBELCast 2014 Podcast
Click here for Direct Download of Podcast
What are the clinical questions that will be covered in September REBELCast 2014?
Question #1: In patients with undifferentiated respiratory distress, does the use of NIPPV in the pre-hospital setting reduce in-hospital mortality?
Question #2: Is weekly dosing of Dalbavancin as effective as routine therapy for skin infections?
What are the specific articles we will be covering?
Article #1: Mal S et al. Effect of Out-of-Hospital NonInvasive Positive-Pressure Support Ventilation in Adult Patients with Severe Respiratory Distress: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Ann of EM 2014; 63: 600 – 7. (24342819)
Article#2: Boucher HW et al. Once-Weekly Dalbavancin Versus Daily Conventional Therapy for Skin Infection. N Engl J Med 2014; 370: 2169 – 79. (24897082)
What are the clinical bottom lines for the above clinical questions:
Bottom Line #1: NIPPV should be considered in all patients with severe respiratory distress in the prehospital setting
Bottom Line #2: IV Dalbavancin is an alternative antibiotic for skin infections that can be dosed on a weekly basis, but as with other new medications, cost may be an issue and a non-drug company sponsored study would need to be conducted before implementation.
September REBELCast 2014 Show Notes
For more on the above topics checkout:
- Ryan Radecki at Emergency Medicine Literature of Note: Let’s Make MRSA Stronger
- Zlatan Coralic at Academic Life in EM (ALiEM): New Antibiotic Dalbavancin: Should We Use This in the ED?
Latest posts by Salim Rezaie (see all)
- Journal Abstracts and Why You Should Continue to Use Phenobarbital in Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome for Patients Requiring Admission - January 10, 2019
- TXA for Everyone: Inhaled TXA for Hemoptysis - December 3, 2018
- Delirium in Critical Illness: Haloperidol vs Ziprasidone? - November 26, 2018